Pursuant to 2009/136/EU guidelines, we inform you that this website uses its own technical cookies and third party cookies to provide you with an efficient navigation experience and unimpaired use of the website functions.
Farm life
The ABC of farms

The ABC of farms

Our lexicon is full of information about Farm Holidays, South Tyrol and its landscape. Just click onto the required letter. Enjoy your research!

Apple farming

Cultivated land: 18,000 hectares
Altitude: 250 to 1,000 m
Apple production in South Tyrol (2004): 966,380 tonnes

The top five varieties:
Golden Delicious 41% 
Royal Gala 14% 
Red Delicious 11% 
Granny Smith 8% 
Fuji 6%
Pink lady and pinova varieties are also popular.

One third of Italy’s, or 10% of the whole of Europe’s apples are produced by South Tyrol’s 8000 fruit farmers. Around 50% of the annual harvest is exported, with this trend increasing every year. 70% is exported to Germany, the other 30% to Scandanavia, Eastern Europe, Great Britain, Spain, Greece and other countries. Production is quality-oriented. After the harvest of 2005, South Tyrolean apples will be marketed under the European origin description ‚South Tyrol apple’. Apples are produced according to integrated or organic farming guidelines.

> Holiday on a farm with fruit-growing